Suggest a recipe idea that you'd like Mealime to add!

Share your recipe ideas with us so we can make more meals that interest you! What are you craving?

1 Like

I’ve got a few. I avoid gluten and had a vegan roommate for a couple of years, so we rarely cooked standard American dinners. I hope these can help! I tend to improvise a lot in the kitchen, so I don’t have specific measurements, but if they interest anybody, a little trial and error should standardize them pretty easily.
(Note: these aren’t all vegan, as you’ll see.)

Catalan Green Bean Salad
I’m not sure if this is a traditional recipe or not, but this was always in the fridge for a quick meal when I stayed with a Catalan family one summer.

Eggs
Fresh green beans, trimmed
New potatoes, quartered
Olive oil
Salt/pepper

Essentially, all you have to do is boil eggs, green beans and new potatoes in separate saucepans. Drain and let all three chill for awhile, at least until you can handle them comfortably, then peel and quarter the hard boiled eggs. Toss all three together and serve cold or room temperature. When serving, pour olive oil over it (liberally - they pour olive oil like it’s wine) and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Plantain nachos

Ripe (yellow to black) plantain
Pre-made salsa (I like using a hot one with fruit for this, like a peach habanero)
Can of black beans, drained
Avocado, diced
Cilantro, chopped (enough to garnish)
Optional: sour cream, Greek yogurt or cheese

Slice up the plantain and pan fry until crisp and browned on both sides, but soft on the inside. Transfer to a plate and top with the goods.

Low-Carb Pizza

Eggplant
Jar of pizza sauce
Mozzarella
Fresh basil and/or crushed red pepper (opt.)
Olive oil
Salt

This is pretty much a no-brainer once you see the list, but just to be clear: Slice the eggplant into crust-wide medallions, brush with olive oil and sprinkle a little salt, and roast, bake or broil, flipping halfway through cooking. Once cooked through, top with sauce and mozzarella, adding the optional extras if desired. Put under the broiler until cheese is bubbling.

Tofu tacos, traditional style

Tofu
Corn tortillas
Raw onion (white or red)
Cilantro (at least a bunch)
Taco seasoning and/or hot sauce
Lime

Dice the onion and chop the cilantro, set aside. Crumble the tofu into an oiled cast iron skillet, so it resembles the texture of ground meat. Put taco seasoning (and/or hot sauce) into the tofu and stir fry until mixed and warm. Warm the tortillas (usually best to put them on a cookie sheet under the broiler for a couple minutes). Serve like so: tortilla (2 to a taco if you’re being super faithful), tofu crumbles, equal amounts of cilantro and onion, and a wedge of lime to squeeze on top. Use additional hot sauce, if desired.

Zoodle Lasagna

Zucchini (4 or 5)
Ricotta
Frozen spinach
Jar of pizza sauce
Olive oil
Salt/pepper
Parmesan

Oil a casserole dish and preheat your oven to 400. Slice the zucchini with a mandolin or peeler so you have long, wide, thin slices. Thaw and drain the frozen spinach, then mix into the ricotta with a little salt and pepper. Layer the zukes, pizza sauce, and cheese mixture until you’re out of ingredients - just make sure you end up with zucchini and a thin spread of sauce on top. Top with a little parmesan and bake about 20-30 minutes.

Vegetarian sushi bowls

Rice
Rice vinegar
Sugar or Agave syrup (honey could probably work too)

Any combination of the following:
Carrots, julienned
Cucumbers, sliced or julienned
Edamame, shelled
Tofu
Avocado
Roasted sweet potato or squash
Sprouts
Green onion

Optional pour overs:
Soy sauce
Sriracha

Cook the rice, pour a bit of an equal mixture of rice vinegar and sugar and mix in. Top with any combo of the salad bar choices above.

Also, if you have any ideas on how to shortcut a mujadara recipe (this is the one I’ve used: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aarti-sequeira/lebanese-lentils-rice-and-caramelized-onions-mujadara-recipe-1925439), that’s a great gluten-free vegan option, too. More Mediterranean/Middle Eastern recipe ideas in general would be lovely, really. I’ve always enjoyed Turkish, Lebanese, Israeli and Persian restaurants but haven’t had a lot of luck bringing the flavors home.

2 Likes

I would be delighted to see in Mealime all salads and meal recipes from this cook book which I think is out of print but would be happy to send you scans. In case the picture does now show, this is the information: Carole Clements and Elizabeth Wolf-Cohen. French: Delicious Classic Cuisine Made Easy. Hermes, 2001.

The recipes are indeed easy and the sauces to the dishes easy and delishous.

1 Like

Wow, thank you @LaurenityNow for putting in so much effort! Much appreciated :smiley:

And thank you @Rose74 for suggesting that cookbook. Cookbooks in this day and age can often be forgotten, but they remain a great resource. Will check it out :thumbsup:

1 Like

It’d be really cool if we could upload recipes from different blogs/websites. Or if we made a recipe from the app and changed it, it would be neat to be able to add in that variation. But that could open up a can of worms.

7 Likes

This is a great idea! Even if it’s just a way to store your own recipes. It would be a good way to consolidate my shopping list.

1 Like

Baked Chicken wings
Serves 2-4 people
Ingredients

•   12 chicken wings - cut drum from wing and remove wing tips (save tips and make chicken stock with them later)  this will leave you with 12 drums and 12 wings.

•   1/4 cup Braggs Liquid Amino Acids (you get this at most grocery or health food stores) *you can substitute soy sauce but it has more sodium.

•   1 Lime, juiced

•   3 Garlic Cloves, minced

•   1/4 tsp. Salt (Optional - I salt at the table if necessary)

•   1/2 tsp. Pepper

•   1/2 tsp. Tabasco Sauce

•   1 Tbsp. Honey

•   1 Tbsp. All-Purpose Seasoning (I love Braggs Seasoning (predominantly thyme, garlic, rosemary flavors)

Instructions:
Marinade Instructions

1. Place all marinade ingredients except chicken in a bowl and mix well, set aside.
  2. Cut drums from the wing part and remove wingtips (discard or save wing tips for stock)
  3. Rinse chicken parts well and pat them dry with a towel to remove excess wetness.
  4. Place chicken pieces in a ziplock bag and pour marinade over them. Press the air out and close the ziplock bag.
  5. Massage the marinade and chicken wings to thoroughly mix and coat every wing.
  6. Let marinate at least 30 minutes or overnight.
    Cooking instructions
    Preheat oven to 425 degrees with one rack in the middle and one rack on the top.
  7. Prepare a roasting pan with a wire rack insert by laying foil down to cover the bottom (easy cleanup) and rub the wire rack with oil or spray with Pam to prevent sticking.
  8. Remove wings from baggie and place them on top of the wire rack/roasting pan in neat rows without crowding them too much together (a little is fine as they will shrink a bit while cooking).
  9. Place in oven uncovered and bake for 30-40 minutes. Room temperature chicken cooks faster than chicken straight from the refrigerator. Chicken should reach internal temperature of 165 degrees.
  10. Switch oven setting to broil and move the wings to the top rack and watch carefully until wing skins are as crispy as you like them to be. Keep your eye on them so they don’t burn.
  11. Remove and serve.
1 Like

I am hoping you can add a quiche recipe. It is the type of lunch I can bring to work, and I am still looking for meals that are compact, not soggy that I can eat at my desk.

1 Like

Would love to see more plant based recipes! Isa Chandra Moskowitz’s appetite for reduction and moksewood simple suppers are faves!

Since I have been so busy lately, I would love at least a few recipes that involve a pressure cooker so I can drop all the ingredients in and have a meal in 30-40 mins without actually doing any other prep than chopping. The other day I made beans and my prep time was about 15 mins (max) which included the washing of the knife and cutting board: drop the beans in the pot, chop an onion, open a can of tomatoes and add it to the pot, add salt, black and red pepper, bayleaf, any other desired herb, and water. Then I set the pressure cooker for 30-40 mins.

I tried adapting one of the recipes already in the app by dumping everything in the pressure cooker. I did not taste the same, but it definitely saved me time.

Even if some existing recipes are adapted for the pressure cooker, I would love it.

2 Likes

You should have a chicken noodle soup recipe. Like seriously, that’s like the most basic thing ever, and it’s getting colder so everyone will want it.

1 Like

Hey guys!
I would like to see more versions of the risotto (even quinoa or cauliflower rice) and maybe more eggplants.

Thank you!

1 Like

From thekitchn.com:
3-Ingredient Cottage Cheese Pancakes
Makes 8 (3-inch-wide) pancakes; serves 2

Prep time: 3 minutes to 5 minutes ; cooking time: 10 minutes to 15 minutes

1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup cottage cheese
2 large eggs
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
Maple syrup, jam, or sliced berries, for serving
Place the oats, cottage cheese, eggs, and salt in a blender and process on high speed until well-combined, about 30 seconds.

Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Working in batches, add the batter in 2-tablespoon portions, spacing them evenly apart. Cook until the pancakes are set around the edges and deep golden-brown on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes (this batter won’t bubble up like traditional pancake batter). Gently flip the pancakes with a thin spatula and cook until the second side is golden-brown, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.

Repeat cooking the remaining batter. These pancakes are best when eaten fresh off the griddle and still warm. Serve with maple syrup, honey, or jam.

Recipe Notes
Storage: Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

1 Like

Steak Gorgozola Pasta

1 lb. Steak
1/4 to 1/3 lb gorgonzola cheese crumbled
½ stick butter melted
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
2-3 large handfuls fresh kale
1 lb pasta – your choice
2 ladles pasta water

Salt and pepper the steak and pan fry, then let rest. Cook pasta. Drain, reserving some of the pasta water. Add melted butter, salt and pepper to the pasta. Add cheese and stir until melted, adding enough pasta water to make a nice sauce. Add kale and thinly sliced steak. Stir to combine. The heat and pasta water will cook the kale just enough.

1 Like

I just tried the Lemon Broccoli chicken Alfredo. I loved the lemon in it! The sauce was fine, but not great. This is my favorite lower calorie Alfredo sauce. I will be subbing it in the future. Perhaps the test kitchen could tweak to add neufchatel?

My very favorite pork chop recipe. https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/pork-chops-with-creamy-mustard-sauce

I would like some options for breakfast that arent to time consuming as I get bored of having the same thing!

Also recipes that can be done in a slow cooker

More seafood recipes in the Keto section - especially scallop, prawn and salmon options.

LOVE the fact it sync nutritional info with iOS Health … great feature, thanks

Hey, I think a good suggestion would be poke bowls with raw salmon and lots of low calories veggies.
We are having always new winter recipes and we also have a winter picks categories when choosing your meals but down here (Australia) it’s being a very hot summer!
Love the app and subscribed a month ago for Pro and I am absolutely happy with everything! Keep up with the good work and congrats!

Thanks for the suggestion!