High fat in almost all meals

Almost all meals I get recommended (whatever menu type I choose) are between 55-70% fat. Is this some bug? I have a hard time believing it’s even possible. Thanks in advance.
Please add some meals for someone who wants to gain weight and muscle mass. More carbohydrates and protein. Also high calorie meals would be great.

1 Like

Hi Daniel - thanks for your feedback. I just replied to your email about this, and will post my response below so others can see :slight_smile:

At this time, the Mealime app isn’t focused on weight loss or weight gain objectives, though we’ve certainly heard of users who have been able to lose weight using it. Though we don’t offer these types of ‘goal-oriented’ options yet, this is something that we are currently investigating.

Right now, we aim to develop recipes that fall in the 550-700 caloric range, which we feel is ideal for most individuals who don’t have specific goals other than just wanting to cook and eat real food. Given that we don’t specifically cater to individuals looking to gain weight, we don’t have very many recipes that exceed 700 calories at this time. We’ve heard from other users (who need more calories for one reason or another) that they like to introduce snacks throughout the day to meet their caloric needs, so this is what we would recommend for you.

It would be great to know what kind of caloric ranges you are interested in as this would help us understand the needs of individuals like yourself, particularly if we decide to introduce more advanced customization options down the road.

In regards to the fat content of the meals, we have no reason to believe there are any bugs. Most of the fat comes from cooking oils/fats, meats, and dairy, and a gram of fat is about 9 calories (which is more than double the calories in carbs and protein). If you’d like me to look into any particular recipes for you, I’d be happy to do that. An easy way to manually lower the fat in the meals is to lessen the amount of cooking oil you use - for example, you could use 1 tbsp instead of 2 tbsp (if the recipe calls for 2), which would lower the fat content by ~14g and the calories by ~100.

We may investigate the development requirements of a low(er) fat meal plan in the future; for now, I’d suggest the manual method above if you’d like to reduce fat levels in meals. Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve also noticed the high fat content in a lot of the recipes. However, I noticed in quite a few, especially the ones I’ve chosen thus far, that some is from good sources like avocado. I also find it easy to make substitutions that lower the fat. I am new to the app and the forum but I would like to say how very much I am enjoying browsing the recipes, putting together meal plans, reading the community posts, etc. I am so excited about all the additions and improvements that may come in the future (Breakfast! YES!).
Thanks so much for a great app!

2 Likes

I think a lot of the high fat content comes from the use of coconut oil. Substitute that for a good olive oil. At the very least that should up the amount of good fat and reduce the bad fat.

1 Like

I’m current on Weight Watchers, and I’ve found that it’s not too hard to make slight adaptations on many meals that lower the fat and calories while still producing an excellent tasting recipe. For example, most places that call for something to be sautéed in 1 T oil can actually be sautéed in 1 t from my olive oil sprayer (the distribution is important).

In salads, I’ve found the dressings to be pretty reasonable. For foods with lots of avocados, I halve the avocado amount and add more of the other veggies—or even add a little lettuce.

While they’re not super low Weight Watchers points, I can get them low enough to be a satisfying dinner. Also, the portions are pretty generous, so you can also sometimes decrease portion sizes. My family of 6 (husband, me, 17, 14, 11,11) can usually be satisfied with a 4-person meal for the entrees and just a little extra on sides.

1 Like

Hi! I’m a new user and loving the app so far. As a person with celiac disease it’s great to have easy access to gluten free options. However, I also have a pancreatic condition that forces me to eat very low fat. I’m able to make some modifications with the ingredients and recipes, but I’d definitely purchase the Pro subscription if I had the ability to choose meals that are both GF and low fat. Thank you for a great app!

1 Like

Thank you, Lucille! It’s good to know that you’d be interested in a low-fat diet type - our apologies that we don’t currently have this available.

2 Likes