What would make Mealime better for you? šŸš€

I am really enjoying this app and so far have no complaints about how itā€™s laid out. For me personally Iā€™ve challenged myself to make 5 new recipes a week. I know you can mark off which recipes youā€™ve made, but I would love it if there was just a tally somewhere on your profile to let you know how many different things youā€™ve cooked.

2 Likes

I would like to see Google Home Integration.

1. Being able to add items to the grocery list via google home. Its so convenient to open the fridge and ask (via voice) google home to add stuff to my shopping list. Currently use both google shopping list and mealime. When at the store I am constantly switching back and forth. would be nice to just use mealime.

2. Being able to display cooking instructions on google home display. Voice advancing the instructions and having the display read the instructions to me is very handy.

1 Like

I love this app! Seriously itā€™s really amazing but one problem I have is that if it says the recipe will take 30 mins it always takes me closer to 45 and if itā€™s the first time cooking it it may take an hour. Maybe Iā€™m just a slow cook but I do strive to make dinner as quick and simple as possible. With most recipes I have ā€œmom hackedā€ them and made simple changes like buying already sliced carrots instead of whole carrots or using canned corn instead of on the cob. In one recipe I bake the sweet potatoes rather than cook in a pan so that they are cooking while Iā€™m getting the rest of the dinner ready. Which is one reason I am happy to have the subscription because I can make not of these little tweaks to the recipes. Iā€™d love if new recipes had a few suggestions on how to ā€œhackā€ a recipe to make it simpler or faster (even just at the bottom with an asterisk or something). Another issue I have is that I feel like the meat takes almost twice as long to cook as stated. Again maybe Iā€™m the only one with this issue but especially with chicken I feel it takes much longer to cook. For example I made wings with spicy carrots the other night and it says the chicken should cook two to three mins on each side and a total of ten mins. It felt like it took forever and because Iā€™m paranoid that Iā€™m going to serve raw chicken I googled how to tell when chicken is cooked and then checked each one with a thermometer. It felt like over kill but I didnā€™t know how else to tell if the chicken was done since it still looked raw in places after ten minutes.

One other thing is that when it says medium sauce pan or large pan that is actually more vague than it seems. I made the wedding soup the other day and it said medium pan so I used my medium pan but then had to switch it to a bigger one half way through because it didnā€™t fit. If it had in addition approximately how many quarts or how big in diameter a pan should be that would be helpful!

Again I really love the app and though I was long winded in this post these complaints really are minor in the grand scheme of things and I am happy to be subscribed to this app I think itā€™s worth every penny!

2 Likes

I like the idea of being able to add our own recipes, but the way that works now isnā€™t something Iā€™d use since itā€™s pretty basic, so I maintain my recipes in Paprika. Heā€™s a few suggestions that would improve it (for me):

• Ability to add/edit recipes in the desktop browser. Iā€™d rather type out a long recipe on my computer than my phone.
  • Ability to add an image to the recipe.
  • Autocomplete suggestions or search for ingredients. If one isnā€™t recognized, maybe offer up the name/quantity/section dialog that exists in the shopping list.
  • Add custom recipe ingredients to the proper category in the shopping list.
  • Import a recipe from a txt or html file.
  • One of my favorite features of Paprika is the Save Recipe Bookmarklet. Iā€™m not sure how it scapes web pages for recipes, but it works well. Something like that for Mealime custom recipes would be awesome.
  • The format of Mealime recipes is awesome, and itā€™s spoiled me for recipes from other sources. Iā€™d love if there was an advanced editor for custom recipes thatā€™d let me use the same format you all use.
  • Export recipes (custom and Mealime) so they can be easily imported into another app.
2 Likes

Hi There, Thank you for the feedback these are great suggestions!

Hi @Campah Thanks for the suggestions! We are looking at ways to evolve the ā€œUpload your own recipesā€ feature.

Forgive me if some of these additions have been addressed but for me personally I would love to daily nutritional facts. To be able to see all of the macros and micros per day would help with the focus. Also, to be able to have a plan for an entire week without having to do dividing of the meals our self and maybe have a rotation of two different sets of meals for every other day. I also noticed for Keto meals, the net carbs run a little high sometimes. For keto, I would personally like to be able to limit our macros with a percentage or a range. I noticed it ran around 25+ net carbs when I like them to be less than 20g net carbs. Also, would like to see a custom calorie setter. If I am bulking or cutting, my calories will differ around 1000 calories. I am new to this app but I am already liking the options!

Thanks,

Whitt

2 Likes

Hi Whitt-Thank you for the suggestions!

Iā€™m not sure if this has been mentioned previously or not, but one thing that would help me out the MOST would be some sort of meal builder which automatically puts together weekly meal plans which contain similar ingredients.

Ok, stay with me here. The reason for this request is the problem of wasted food on recipes which require a little bit of a single ingredient, but I have to purchase a lot of it. The majority of the problem lies with Produce. Many recipes ask for small amounts of the leafy stuff, but thatā€™s it. A week goes by and I have a full head of something, and it goes bad.

If the automation is out of scope then I would ask for a recommendation page which allows you to view recipes which contain ingredients that are similar to the one youā€™ve chosen in the sense that, for example, both recipes contain cilantro, celery, or chives, etcā€¦

1 Like

Hi @mhinderman If you set your meal planner to ā€œsimpleā€ the app with choose recipes for you that share common ingredients to minimize food waste. Please open settings, under eating preferences and then scroll until you see Meal planner, and then select ā€œsimpleā€ please note changes wonā€™t take effect until a new meal plan is created. Thanks!

Iā€™ve fallen so in love with this app itā€™s hard to imagine it being any better, but I sat down and thought about it, and hereā€™s a fewā€¦

So in the ā€œdisliked foodsā€ area, one food I listed was raw tomatoes. But one thing I noticed was that it eliminated recipes that use tomato salsa. I love salsa. I just donā€™t like actual raw tomatoes. PurĆ©e them, mix them with spices and chiles, and theyā€™re delicious. Yeah, I know Iā€™m weird. There should be some way to specify that. Iā€™m not sure how, but maybe yā€™all can figure it out.

Find recipes by cuisine. In the advanced meal planner, you can filter by low price, low carb, etc., but it would be cool if I could see all the Chinese recipes in one place, all the American recipes in another place, etc.

Add your own recipes to the database. I know how to add recipes to my own personal meal plan, but it would be cool to be able to add them online to share with others. Iā€™m not sure where yā€™all get your recipes from, but a stronger community aspect would be really cool. The recipes could even have reviews and you could view highly rated recipes first.

Iā€™ll add more suggestions as I think of them.

Just thought of another one. Grocery store integration. I know thereā€™s already integration with Instacart and Amazon Fresh, but I donā€™t use those because theyā€™re too expensive, plus half the time they donā€™t get your delivery right. My local grocery store is within walking distance, so getting my groceries delivered is a bit silly anyway. What Iā€™d love to see is integration with grocery store apps like Kroger, Publix, ALDI, etc. You could transfer the Mealime grocery list to the grocery list in the Kroger app, and then I could even use ClickList if I wanted.

Hi There, Thanks for reaching out and for the suggestions! We are currently looking into different delivery integration partnerships. Though at this time there isnā€™t a category in the builder for different cuisine you can use the search function to search them. First, open the meal planner and start building a new meal plan. Then, tap the magnifying glass icon in the upper right-hand corner of the planner to open Search: enter the cuisine you are looking for.

We add new options to the dislike list based on whatā€™s most requested by our members. I have noted down your request for a more refined definition of tomatoes and will let you know if this becomes available. At this time selecting raw tomatoes does not omit recipes that have canned tomatoes.

Additionally, if you tap on an item in your grocery list, it will open a window with more information about the ingredient and possible substitutes. Perhaps you will find this useful for making adjustments to recipes that have raw tomatoes.

At this time, we write, test, and photograph all Mealime meals ourselves in order to guarantee recipe quality, the use of common ingredients, and to make sure that time constraints are adhered to (30-40 minute meals).But we love the idea of more community engagement!!!

2 Likes

Low cholesterol opinion. Ability to select multiple diet plans at a time (low carb + flexitarain)

Hi, Thanks for reaching out and the suggestions! I have noted your interest in low cholesterol recipes. Currently with the Pro version of Mealime you can add advanced filters which filter recipes based on customized parameters. Which allows members to select flexitarain menu type and then add a low carb filter.

Please please add garlic to the dislikes list. I have a diagnosed food allergy and avoid garlic. I do alter all vegetarian recipes and cook without it, but it would be wonderful if you could add garlic to this list. There are so many people with allium intolerance/allergies I would be forever grateful to have my allergy recognized by this community as I love Mealime.

Thanks for reaching out. We appreciate the suggestion and feedback! We add new options to the dislike list regularly based on whatā€™s most requested by our members. I have noted down your request and will let you know if those foods become available as options. it is important to us to support our members needs.

This is literally the best app ever just a shoutout.

One thing that I thought of as a way to improve the nearly flawless experience is to be able to separate out my favorites. For example, sometimes I ā€œheartā€ recipes that are newly added that I would like to try, sometimes I ā€œheartā€ recipes that Iā€™ve tried already and love already. I think it would be nice for there to be a ā€œinterested inā€ list vs a ā€œmy recipesā€ list. (This is partially because the list of recipes Iā€™ve tried and love is so long, but I try to keep trying at least one new one every week ā€“ mainly because all I want in my heart is to eat sundried tomato + spinach pasta for every meal foreverandever)

This would also help with sometimes I ā€œbrowseā€ recipes for the next week but am not currently making a new meal plan I just want to think about what I might want next week and see if any new recipes have been posted

I sometimes ā€œloseā€ recipes that I think look good to try in the future but I donā€™t want to try this week as I need to use up some other fresh ingredients I have.

One other thing I thought about ā€“ a random meal generator

I know you can change to the basic way of doing all random meals + favorites, but I think it would be cool to have the option to add a random meal from the advanced setting

@cpsychc Thanks for this feedback and providing insight into how you use favorites. This is something we are thinking a lot about.

Regarding a random meal generator - I can let you know that we have a new feature ready to launch soon that I think you will be quite excited about. Itā€™s much better than a random generator. Keep an eye out!